Posted by zheen | Posted in Picnic Food And Recipes | Posted on 10-06-2011
Each time I head into my kitchen, I’m not on my own. Probably none among us is. Many of us bring our ancestry with us, our traditions as well as our own dreams, and each meal we have ever eaten in our lifetime. Food is never just food. It is also a way of getting at something else that is of a higher and greater nature: “who we are, who we have been, and who we want to be,” says Molly Wizenberg, the author of A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table, 2009.
The reason why I quoted Molly Wizenberg is to be enable to furnish a point that undeniably, food is not just the food that only satisfies our hunger, our famished selves or just to provide the means of our existence. But food is something that witnesses our everyday struggles with the people around us and our fight for survival. It even gets to a point where it is something that we run to when we feel depressed and emotional.
In the same odd way is the recipe that I’m sharing with you right now. Sometimes, sandwiches are often neglected because of its commonness or the simplicity in its preparation perhaps, but sandwiches can also be so deliciously unforgettable when you enhance it with the perfect combination of ingredients and herbs. And so there is the Three-Cheers Chicken Sandwich.
Here are the Ingredients:
2 kg. of boneless and skinless Chicken breast, cubed
1/2 teaspoon of Salt
1/2 teaspoon of Pepper
1/4 Whole Wheat Flour
3 Tb Olive Oil
3 cloves Darlic,minced
1 c chicken broth shopping list
1/2 c Balsamic Vinegar
6 TB form packed Brown Sugar
1/2 c Broccoli Puree
6 Ciabatta Rolls
6 large slices of tomatoes
1/2 c grated part-skim mozzarella
How it’s made:
1. First, it is important to gather all the ingredients needed for this meal.
2. Be sure to preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
3. Then, thoroughly season chicken with salt and pepper. Spread the flour on the sheet of waxed paper, and immediately toss the chicken chunks into the sheet where the flour was spread. You need to coat chicken completely.
4. It is also necessary to place oil in a large skillet that is over medium to high heat. Add the chicken and garlic. Lower heat to medium and you can continue to cook chicken until you can see it begins to brown and garlic becomes fragrant. Leave it for at least 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Add now the chicken broth, the vinegar and the brown sugar. You have to wait until boil. Cover and simmer for at least 10 to 15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink at the center. Don’t worry. It’s quite noticeable.
6. Pour in the puree and cook for at least 2 to 3 minutes more until the flavors have blended completely.
7. Place the rolls on the large baking sheet. Top each of 6 bottom halves with a tomato slice (and the fresh basil, if desired). You must divide the chicken among them and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese to make it taste even better. You also have to wait until the cheese has melted and edges of rolls are crisp. It could take 5 to 7 minutes. But you can also add any toppings you like for your sandwich; you can also add the delicious cucumber.
8. Now, it’s ready to be served!
Note: For broccoli puree, you can steam the florets for 6 to 7 minutes. They have to be tender but still bright green. If the puree is in the processor or blender it would take 2 minutes. If needed, you can add a few teaspoons of water for a smooth and creamy texture.
You are also welcome to read: