Posted by Mia | Posted in healthy recipes, Picnic Food And Recipes, Romantic ideas, Vegetarian Food Ideas, World Recipes | Posted on 23-10-2014
Summertime is the perfect time to plan for a picnic– especially if you need a vacation but just can’t get away. A picnic is like the perfect little 1-day holiday, taking you away from it all so you can really relax and enjoy with family and friends. Picnics create happy, sun-drenched moments and delightful memories to treasure forever. Just thinking back on a picnic when you’re old and gray will warm you with fondness and melt way stress, bringing a smile to your face.
If you’re tired of the usual picnic food and want to serve something new and exciting, consider a spicy kathi roll. A kathi roll is a bit like an Indian-style hot dog. Well, scratch that– maybe it’s more like a burrito, with a spicy mixture loaded of vegetables and hint of tomato sauce loaded in a wrap. Actually in India, Kathi rolls are very famous in West Bengal. They are different ways of making these kathi rolls, like egg kathi roll, chicken kathi roll, veggie kathi roll with potato stuffing.
I made these rolls using green gram filling with fried potatoes. It is superb and does not need any other condiment to go with it. It can be served all by itself. Allow me to share my recipe.
Ingredients To Make Roti
- Whole wheat flour – 2 cups
- Oil – 2tbsp + for frying
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Water as required
- Combine whole wheat flour, oil and salt into one bowl. Knead the dough using required quantity of water. Make very soft dough.
- Cover the dough with the damp cloth and let it rest for 20 minutes
- For that, knead the dough for a little while.
- Then divide the dough into four equal sized balls. Smooth out each ball and flatten it a little.
- Roll out each ball into big sized disc as shown in the figure.
- Heat the pan and spread few drops of oil in the pan.
- Place the roti in the pan and fry it till you see light golden spot on each side.
Ingredients To Make Filling
- Green gram grains – 1 cup
- Potato – 2 small
- Ginger – ½ inch
- Tomato – 2 medium
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp +1/4 tsp
- Red chilly powder – 1tsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Asafetida – a pinch
- Oil -2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak the green gram grain into the water for overnight or for at least four hours.
- Wash and finely chop the ginger and tomatoes. Keep it aside.
- Peel the potatoes and cut it into ½ inch cubes.
- Dice the bell pepper and cucumber. Keep it aside for later use.
- Place a pan on the medium flame and add 1 tbsp of oil into the pan.
- When oil heats up add cumin seeds and asafetida. Let the seeds splutter and fry for few seconds.
- Then add ¼ tsp of turmeric powder and diced potato cubes. Fry the potato cubes until it is fully cook. You can cover the lid of the pan and cook the potato.
- Take out the potato cubes into one plate.
- In the same pan, add the remaining the oil.
- When oil heats up, adds mustards seeds and chopped ginger. Fry for 1 minute.
- Then add chopped tomato. Cook till the tomato turn mushy and soft.
- Add the soaked green gram grain, salt, red chilly powder and turmeric powder. Mix well and cook till the green gram is completely cooked. This grain takes very less time to cook when they are properly soaked.
- Check the grains by keeping it in between your index finger and thumb. If it is pressed, then the grains are perfectly cooked.
- Add fried potatoes and mix well. Turn off the flame and filling is ready.
- Bell pepper – 1 small
- Cucumber – 1 small
- Chat masala – ¼ tsp
- Salt – a bit
- Tomato sauce
METHOD to Put it All Together
- Now take one roti onto the plate. In the middle of the roti, place the 2 tbsp of spicy mixture filling; top it with diced bell pepper and cucumber.
- Sprinkle some chat masala and salt to taste. Also add few drops of tomato sauce for more tanginess.
- Try the roti to fold it and make it into a roll. Seal the roll using the aluminum foil so that the roll does not open while eating. Your kathi Roll is ready to serve.