Posted by Mia | Posted in healthy recipes, Picnic Food And Recipes, Vegetarian Food Ideas | Posted on 29-09-2014
Tags: Chickpea Veggie Crepe
A picnic is the best way to spend some quality time with your family and friends. For couples, a picnic can be a romantic encounter. For friends, it can be a fun and casual way to pass the day. For families with children, it’s a great opportunity for quality time and bonding. A lot of my friends and family like to take a picnic a couple of times per month, weather permitting. It’s a great way to get outdoors, unwind, get some exercise and let go of all the tension from the busy work week.
When you go out for picnic, it’s important to choose foods that don’t spoil easily. Even when you take the proper precautions with a cooler, picnic food needs to keep well if you want to ensure your diners will be entirely safe when they enjoy the spread you set out on that blanket for them.
Here’s a great recipe that is not only perfect for picnics because it keeps well, but is delicious and fun to eat: veggie chickpea crepe. These crepes will keep for a long time, depending on the filling. The filling I provide the recipe here for is best, though, and can be prepared with any kind of veggies like zucchini, colorful bell peppers, mushroom and many more. These crepes can be best served with tomato sauce or with simple parsley and chilly condiment. It is basically made with garbanzo flour and fully loaded with buttery, crunchy veggies.
This recipe is so easy, you can prepare it in no time. Just keep ingredients on hand for any time you want to make it and you can whip it up in a jiffy.
Serving: 2 people
To Make Veggie Filling
- Green bell pepper – 1 medium
- Carrot – 1 small
- Tomato – 1 small
- Black pepper powder – ¼ tsp
- Red chilly powder – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Butter – 1 tbsp
To Make the Filling
- Clean the veggies and chop them very finely. Remove the seeds from the tomatoes and dice the flesh.
- Place a pan on medium flame and add 1 tbsp of butter into the pan.
- When the butter melts, add cumin seeds and fry for 1 minute.
- Add chopped bell pepper and carrot. Sauté for 2 minutes on the same medium flame.
- Add chopped tomato, red chilly powder, turmeric powder, black pepper powder and salt. Mix well and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and allow the filling to cool down for a while. While it rests you can start the crepe batter.
To Make Chickpea Crepes
- Chickpea flour – ½ cup
- Red chilly powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste – ¼ tsp
- Water – as required
- Oil – for frying
- Sieve the chickpea flour using the strainer to avoid any lumps in the flour.
- In the wide bowl, add sieved flour, red chilly powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix well and make a semi thick consistency paste batter using required amount of water. This crepe comes out good when it has right consistency of batter, so add water little by little to check the batter consistency.
- Place a non stick pan on medium flame .When pan heats up, spread the oil all over the pan.
- Add spoonful of batter and spread it into round circle crepe using the spatula.
- Smear more oil all around the sides of the crepe if required. Let the crepe fry on medium flame for 2 minutes on each side.
- Place the filling over the crepe and roll it as shown in the images. Another option you can try is making small coin shape crepe topped with filling. This is the best option to impress your children during picnic.
- Now wrap each roll in the foil as an individual serving. Doing this your dish will remain fresh and there will be no mess during eating.
Here we go! Chickpea veggie crepes are ready to enjoy.